Water Currents Blog
- Smarter Irrigation Returns Water to Arizona’s Verde River
- Lake Science Goes High-Tech to Understand Impacts of Extreme Weather Events in Argentina
- New Film Highlights Hydropower Dams and Food Security Concerns in Cambodia
- This Thanksgiving, Some Luscious Cranberries Have a Smaller Water Footprint
- Youth Change Ireland’s (Water) Course
- In Ireland, Water Will No Longer Be Free
- Worst Weather Ever: Has It Become a Cliché Yet?
- Flooding the Grand Canyon to Restore It
- On Flood and Thirst: How Communities Are Adapting to the Age of Unpredictable Water
- Bizarre Mystery Fish Identified: Species of the Week
Stories From the Field
Farmers in the Verde River Basin employ new technology to benefit a desert environment.
Wastewater supports a rich habitat for rare species.
Watch this video to learn the innovative methods used to restore water to rivers and how Colorado’s Yampa River and its dependents survived the drought of 2012.
More About Freshwater
How much water does it take to put beef, pork, wheat, and more on your plate? Explore our water footprint interactive and find out.
You might be surprised to see how the daily choices you make affect critical watersheds around the world.
Where does water sit around the globe? How is it used to produce everyday goods? Test your knowledge about freshwater.
Help Save the Colorado River
You can help restore freshwater ecosystems by pledging to cut your water footprint. For every pledge, Change the Course will restore 1,000 gallons back to the Colorado River. Text "River" to 77177 or click here:
Change the Course Infographic
Check out this infographic and learn how you can conserve water and save the Colorado River, as well as other freshwater ecosystems.
See a selection of over 100 freshwater resources from National Geographic Education.
This guide on Earth's Freshwater provides a solid introduction to freshwater in an accessible and reader-friendly manner.
Explore the relationships between rivers and early settlement patterns.
Get muddy with a wade through states, territories, and commonwealths in this Geo-Story.
Sandra is a leading authority on international freshwater issues and is spearheading our global freshwater efforts.
He's paddled the Colorado River from its headwaters to the delta, in an effort to bring awareness to this mighty river at risk.
For more than 15 years, Osvel Hinojosa Huerta has been resurrecting Mexico's Colorado River Delta wetlands.
Water: A Special Issue
Earth’s future rests on better irrigation and shorter showers.
Where clean water is scarcest, the task of fetching water defines life for women.