Water Currents Blog
- Rebirth of Lake Sturgeon: Freshwater Species of the Week
- “North Country Dreamland” Shares Beauty of Lake Superior
- China’s Eco-Compensation Could Lead to Cleaner Waters
- Breweries Raising Their Glasses to Clean Water
- South African Anti-Fracking Activist Calls for Global Alliance
- Political Currents of Water Management: Challenges in Israel, Palestine, and Jordan
- Newly Discovered Choctaw Bass: Freshwater Species of the Week
- Once a Smelly Nuisance, Mexicali’s Wastewater Now Brings Life to the Colorado Delta
- Tapped Out: How Will Cities Secure Their Water Future?
- New Zealand Longfin Eels: Freshwater Species of the Week
Stories From the Field
Wastewater supports a rich habitat for rare species.
The U.S. and Mexico team up to restore water to the Colorado.
Watch this video to learn the innovative methods used to restore water to rivers and how Colorado’s Yampa River and its dependents survived the drought of 2012.
More About Freshwater
How much water does it take to put beef, pork, wheat, and more on your plate? Explore our water footprint interactive and find out.
You might be surprised to see how the daily choices you make affect critical watersheds around the world.
Where does water sit around the globe? How is it used to produce everyday goods? Test your knowledge about freshwater.
Help Save the Colorado River
You can help restore freshwater ecosystems by pledging to cut your water footprint. For every pledge, Change the Course will restore 1,000 gallons back to the Colorado River.
Change the Course Infographic
Check out this infographic and learn how you can conserve water and save the Colorado River, as well as other freshwater ecosystems.
See a selection of over 100 freshwater resources from National Geographic Education.
This guide on Earth's Freshwater provides a solid introduction to freshwater in an accessible and reader-friendly manner.
Explore the relationships between rivers and early settlement patterns.
Get muddy with a wade through states, territories, and commonwealths in this Geo-Story.
Sandra is a leading authority on international freshwater issues and is spearheading our global freshwater efforts.
He's paddled the Colorado River from its headwaters to the delta, in an effort to bring awareness to this mighty river at risk.
For more than 15 years, Osvel Hinojosa Huerta has been resurrecting Mexico's Colorado River Delta wetlands.
Water: A Special Issue
Earth’s future rests on better irrigation and shorter showers.
Where clean water is scarcest, the task of fetching water defines life for women.