Water Currents Blog
- Volunteers Needed to Study American Eels
- A Favorite Massachusetts Stream Loses a Dam – and Gains Aquatic Habitat
- Short on Water? Don’t Blame it on the Rain
- The U.S. and Mexico Partner to Save the Colorado River Delta
- The Mexican “Water Monster” Resurfaces: Freshwater Species of the Week
- Ancient Voices Through a Modern Microphone
- Help Return the Colorado River to the Sea
- In the Yampa River, Extra Flow Makes for Happier Fish
- 51 Dams Removed to Restore Rivers in 2013
- This Will Shatter Your View of Apex Predators: How Wolves Change Rivers
Stories From the Field
Farmers in the Verde River Basin employ new technology to benefit a desert environment.
Wastewater supports a rich habitat for rare species.
Watch this video to learn the innovative methods used to restore water to rivers and how Colorado’s Yampa River and its dependents survived the drought of 2012.
More About Freshwater
How much water does it take to put beef, pork, wheat, and more on your plate? Explore our water footprint interactive and find out.
You might be surprised to see how the daily choices you make affect critical watersheds around the world.
Where does water sit around the globe? How is it used to produce everyday goods? Test your knowledge about freshwater.
Help Save the Colorado River
You can help restore freshwater ecosystems by pledging to cut your water footprint. For every pledge, Change the Course will restore 1,000 gallons back to the Colorado River. Text "River" to 77177 or click here:
Change the Course Infographic
Check out this infographic and learn how you can conserve water and save the Colorado River, as well as other freshwater ecosystems.
See a selection of over 100 freshwater resources from National Geographic Education.
This guide on Earth's Freshwater provides a solid introduction to freshwater in an accessible and reader-friendly manner.
Explore the relationships between rivers and early settlement patterns.
Get muddy with a wade through states, territories, and commonwealths in this Geo-Story.
Sandra is a leading authority on international freshwater issues and is spearheading our global freshwater efforts.
He's paddled the Colorado River from its headwaters to the delta, in an effort to bring awareness to this mighty river at risk.
For more than 15 years, Osvel Hinojosa Huerta has been resurrecting Mexico's Colorado River Delta wetlands.
Water: A Special Issue
Earth’s future rests on better irrigation and shorter showers.
Where clean water is scarcest, the task of fetching water defines life for women.