Photograph courtesy Westside High School League of WEGA
School: Westside High School
Team: League of WEGA
Car Name: Bamboozler (Battery Electric Prototype category)
What is special about your car? We used bent bamboo for the frame and rattan for the body of our vehicle. Also, for the backing of the car, we used flattened soda cans. One of our goals was to create a design that incorporated renewable and recycled materials.
Why is fuel efficiency important to your team? Fuel efficiency is important to our team because we are the future generation of the world. Oil is a non-renewable resource so we must maximize its efficiency. The first step towards sustainability is reduce, followed by reuse and recycle. Everyone can afford to reduce their emissions, so it is the most feasible for everyone to accomplish. We increased our efficency by choosing lightweight material for the frame of our car. A bamboo frame and rattan body also saves money and reduces green house gas emissions, which reduces climate change.
Who or what inspired you on the way to Eco-marathon? We got our inspiration for our bamboo vehicle from pictures of bamboo bikes and prototypes. We liked the look of sleek bamboo, so we incorporated it into our design.
Great Energy Challenge Blog
- Powering Our Urban Future: Spotlight on Turkey
- Wind Power’s Share of the U.S. Power Grid Jumped in 2013, New Figures Show
- Fight Over Solar in Bridgeport: Two Types of Environmentalism Collide
- U.S. Solar Power Surges Ahead in New Report, But Tax Credit Battle Looms
- New Fuel Cell Project Aims to Make Port of Honolulu Greener