Photograph courtesy University of Michigan Supermileage
School: University of Michigan
Team: University of Michigan Supermileage
Car name: Blackhawk (Gasoline Prototype category)
What is special about your car? Our car is made of carbon fiber and is designed to be incredibly lightweight and aerodynamic. Our engine is also highly modified (including changes to the cylinder sleeve and head and the introduction of an electronic fuel injection system) to optimize our efficiency.
Why is fuel efficiency important to your team? The demand for energy by 2050 is expected to triple, and improving fuel efficiency is a crucial step towards meeting that need. More fuel efficient vehicles will dramatically reduce the amount of energy required for transportation in the future.
Who or what inspired you on the way to the Eco-marathon? We are a new team, and this year was our first time competing at Shell Eco-marathon. Our team is inspired by our former members who started the team two years ago and put us on a great track towards success.
Great Energy Challenge Blog
- In the Arctic, Rich Fish Stocks Meet Energy Exploration
- Natural Gas Reality Check: U.S. Methane Emissions May Exceed Estimates By 50 Percent
- Wind Turbine Bird Deaths Cost Duke Energy $1 Million
- The Changing Carbon Map: How We Revised Our Interactive Look at Global Footprints
- Are Those Solar Panels Facing the Wrong Direction?