Photograph courtesy Team Tatonka
School: University of Colorado Boulder
Team: Team Tatonka
Car Name: Ralphie (Gasoline Prototype category)
What is special about your car? Nearly every component on our car has been designed and fabricated by current or previous team members. The most unique of these components is our completely home-built engine controller system.
Why is fuel efficiency important to your team? The price of gas has been high since most of our team members started driving causing us to appreciate gas conservation techniques. Additionally two of our team members have a long commute to campus daily, where they are using some of the driving methods we learned this year to improve their mileage.
Who or what inspired you on the way to Eco-marathon? Our second place finish last year helped our team believe in our car and push even harder this year to reach higher mileages. Beyond that every student on this team has a true passion for automotive technology and enjoyed the opportunity to pursue a hobby for school credit.
Great Energy Challenge Blog
- Poll Finds Generation Gap on Energy Issues as Millennials Voice Climate Concerns
- After Two-Year Hiatus, U.S. Nuclear Power Plants Get License Renewals
- Chief Councilor Ellis Ross of the Haisla Nation on First Nations and Energy Development in Canada
- Paying for Protection Is Part of the Cost of Doing Business for Oil and Gas Firms in Egypt
- New Report Ranks the World’s ‘Greenest’ Utilities
The Big Energy Question
What innovation should shape transportation in the future?